The Awkward First Date Sonnet

I was writing a post for you all today about a very embarrassing high school date.  And, as I wrote the post, I accidentally put several lines in iambic pentameter.  And crazier yet, several of those lines somehow rhymed.  Well, there was only one option after I saw that:  Write up the story in the style of a Shakespearean sonnet! A BB+B story that's short, amusing, and rhymes? Enjoy!

Sonnet 1: "The Zombie Movie Disaster Date"


When I was just a youth in search of love,
I found myself a woman to enjoy.
Her hands fit in my own just like a glove!
Her smile was sweet, her actions very coy.


Our first date was quite fun, I must admit
(Though awkward too, as first dates often are).

I tried to fill our talks with jokes and wit
But her film choice was strange, even bizarre.

I tried my best to show her I was strong,
But soon enough I felt my courage fail,
She thought I was fearless, but she was wrong
My fear of zombies will always prevail.

And thus with a whimper soon this girl sees,
Though I seem strong, I'm too scared of zombies.


Thank you. In sonnet form, that is the tale of my only date with a girl who decided she wanted to go to a zombie movie marathon, somehow as a romantic first date.  If you don't speak 'sonnet' fluently, basically I spent the whole movie jumping and obviously uncomfortable.  After the first movie we called it quits, and we never went on another date again. It was awkward, strange, and embarrassing, and I hope that this very short post will tide you all over as I handle LOTS of work, and have VERY little time for writing!

Thanks for reading BB+B! More frequent updates will be coming in the near future.
-Brian, the Author Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're going to comment, please avoid foul language, spamming, or abuse. Such comments will be deleted.